Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Dexter Jumped the Shark?

I just recently watched the season 3 finale of Dexter, where Dex kills the Skinner and gets married.

There was a scene a few episodes ago where he helps Miguel Prado (Jimmy Smits) execute his first victim. He asks Miguel what it felt like to kill, and Miguel dressed in a weird Steve-Jobsian black turtleneck replies orgasmicly "Fantastic!". At that moment, I paused the DVR and looked at my wife and said, "I think Dexter just jumped the shark." It was just such an awkward and campy scene.

I simply had some issues with Season 3.

What happened to the Dexter who was sexually ambivalent? Now he's more sexed up than David Duchovny. I thought Dexter was completely maladroit at almost all forms of social contact. Now he's spending every second with his wife and wanting to be a good father?

All of these weird plot lines gives me the feeling that the writers are trying too hard and are leaving the basic character behind. I think they need to get back to basics in Season 4.

Here's my back-to-basics note to the writers of Dexter. Ready? Here you go: Dexter = Batman. Dexter is a dark superhero. He can't have a wife and kids or the bad guys will use them against him. He kills bad guys all over the place. He is constantly hounded by the cops bcause he is a vigilante. He also has all kinds of cool toys that he can play with, and uses science to his advantage at every turn. Come on! Let's have some really smart CSI-like stuff, or some really hard to unravel mystery that requires Dexter's brains. Miguel Prado was Dexter's misguided attempt at having a sidekick : Robin. No more of that! Ditch the family!

I hope they figure this out again, and knock off all these crappy plotlines. Good luck!

1 comment:

Gerald Potts said...

agree> show sucks. Reminds me of a ship without a captain just bouncing off shit. You wrote this about season 3, I hung out till season 5. DONE. Terrible show. On the other hand, Boardwalk Empire is shaping into a nice show if you can get past Buschemi's teeth.